100% ATTENDANCE TO ALL LECTURES, SKILLS LABS, AND EXTERNSHIP HOURS
IS MANDATED BY THE STATE OF CALIFORNIA
PLEASE NOTE: Our clinical sites require that students have a completely clean background for the last 7 years. If the student has any items that show up on their background check, the student will not be allowed to attend the externship. Not attending the externship means the student has failed the entire class.
CLICK HERE FOR A LINK TO THE COURSE DESCRIPTION
About Phlebotomy Technicians
In the acute care setting, the Phlebotomy Technician is a specialized Clinical Lab Assistant who generally works under the supervision of both the Pathologist, who is the Laboratory Medical Director, and the licensed Clinical Scientist. They have numerous significant responsibilities. They are trained to perform venipuncture on a variety of patient populations ranging from neonates, pediatrics, oncology patients, and renal dialysis patients to geriatrics and more. Moreover, they have to multi-task other duties, such as specimen ordering and processing, specimen transport and storage, in addition to performing clerical duties, such as handling customers’ phone requests, computerized information and report filing. Any interpretation regarding lab test results must be referred to a physician.
Phlebotomy Technician Program at SRJC
SRJC is a state approved Phlebotomy program listed for Sonoma County in the California Department of Health Services public listing for phlebotomy training programs (https://archive.cdph.ca.gov/programs/lfs/pages/phlebotomist.aspx). The program offers both the didactic and practical training. Upon successful completion of the didactic/practical portion of the program, a student is allowed an externship in several acute care settings. Students can obtain clinical experience in a variety of health care settings, such as an outpatient care setting, long term rehabilitation, reference labs and acute care settings. The instructors are phlebotomy certified and licensed by the California Department of Public Health Services. They bring an eclectic approach and varied expertise in training students to the skills of phlebotomy.
Essential duties may include, but are not limited to:
- Ability to proficiently perform phlebotomy for patients of all ages and disease states.
- Demonstrate the basic knowledge and skills (cognitive, technical, and interpersonal) necessary to identify age-specific needs appropriate to this position.
- Process incoming lab specimens correctly and distribute them in a timely manner, including send-outs, in accordance with established policies and procedures.
- Perform clerical functions required to report accurate and timely test results including responding to physician requests for copies of test results.
- Perform routine clinical lab tests under the direction of the Clinical Laboratory Scientist according to established procedures for all departments, documenting where appropriate.
- Demonstrate effective organization and set appropriate priorities by completing assignments within prescribed timeframes.
- Maintain a safe, clean environment for all members of the health care team including collecting and disposing of specimens and other contaminated material according to established procedure with adherence to standards of infection control and blood/body fluid precautions and protective equipment when necessary.
- Provide accurate communication to physicians and hospital staff regarding the proper ordering and requirements of lab tests and with obtaining lab results..
- Insure tests are performed within established standards of turnaround time according to urgency requested.
- Maintain work area in a neat and clean manner according to section standards.
- Maintain current knowledge of disaster plans, fire and safety plans as verified by appropriate documentation and evaluation.
- Perform basic clerical duties, i.e. filing, faxing, preparing mail.
- Participate on teams and special projects when asked.
- Cooperate fully in all risk management activities and investigations.
Knowledge / Skills / Experience:
- Demonstrate understanding and adherence to HIPAA and PHI guidelines.
- Treat all information and data within the scope of the position with appropriate confidentiality and security.
- Knowledge of Medical Terminology.
- Knowledge and aptitude for basic computer and secretarial skills.
- Demonstrate strong organizational and problem solving skills.
- Demonstrate evaluative and interpretive skills.
- Demonstrate effective interpersonal skills along with communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Contribute to effective communication needs by providing timely and accurate communication in a positive manner, assisting callers or visitors.
- Must be flexible to changes and/or many interruptions to shift duties.
- Order and assure the availability of necessary lab supplies and forms.
- May be exposed to biohazardous, chemical and radioactive substances.
- Potential for exposure to blood/body fluids, tissues and excretions – Category 1 (High Risk).
- May be exposed to unpleasant patient and unit elements.
- May be required to handle emergency and crisis situations.
- Subject to many interruptions.
- Subject to working alone and irregular hours.